The turning of milk sour and the contamination of dairy products are some of the common concerns of people. The dairy products are perishable and it is important to maintain their freshness in order to avoid contamination and wastage. Salmonella and Clostridium are the bacteria which are responsible for the contamination of the dairy products. However, consumption of contaminated food can lead to food poisoning, skin allergies, diarrhoea and many other serious problems. The major reason behind the contamination of dairy products is the consumption of pesticides rich fodder by cows and buffaloes on large scale. Eventually, the bacteria feed on the dairy products and spoil them beyond usage. (Also read: What signs suggest that you need to change your diet)
How to avoid the contamination of the dairy products?
In order to maintain the health and hygiene of oneself, we must keep a check on the storage of dairy products.
- Dairy products like milk, cheese, butter etc. must always be stored in a cool and dry place. One must refrigerate these products, especially during summers and monsoon season. If we keep the cheese in hot temperature or out of cold place, they ferment easily, leading to a yellow layer of bacteria contamination on it.
- Make sure you always boil the milk before drinking it. It helps to kill the pathogens present in the milk. Do not worry as it does not affect the nutritious value of the milk. (Also read: Which food items are the best sources of antioxidants)
- If the milk or the other dairy products taste sour or create a foul smell, do not use them at all.
- Always check the date of packaging before buying any dairy product. Make sure they are fresh and sealed pack.
- Make sure you store the milk away from the light. Light often spoils the nutritious value of the milk like vitamin D and riboflavin.
- Freezing the whole milk spoils the milk. It is better to freeze the skimmed milk or partially skimmed milk.
- It is always better to consume fresh milk and other dairy products. Do not store them for days together and then consume. (Also read: How to boost your stamina and strength with the help of vegetarian food)