Gomukhasana or the Cow face pose as the names suggest, ‘Go’ refers to Cow and ‘Mukha’ refers to face. As the name implies, it refers to sitting in a cow face body posture. Gomukhasana or the Cow face pose is an essential Yoga pose for people who have a problem with frozen shoulder and back. It eventually helps to improve the flexibility of the body and is highly recommended for the people who complain about arthritis pain and joint pains. It’s a bit tricky yoga asana to get into the position, Thus, it’s a step ahead for the beginners, who have just started doing Yoga.
Step by step guide of how to How To Do Gomukhasana Or Cow Face Pose
- Sit down, with spine uplifted, chest straight, shoulders down.
- Now, wrap your one leg over the other. Make sure that your thighs should be above each other. However, people with knee issues can sit in a neutral position.
- Your heels should be aligned and so the pelvis should also be aligned properly from the base.
- The knee which is on the top of the other leg, take that hand up and inhale. Exhale and wrap the other hand from behind.
- Now, interlock the fingers.
- Keep the elbow straight and up. The biceps must be away from the ear lobe. So, don’t stick your neck on your elbow. Sit straight.
- Breathe in and breathe out.
- You might not able to interlock your fingers as we have an asymmetrical body. So
- you can use a towel or a rope to hold it back.
- Sit in this asana for 30 seconds in this asana.
- Now change the position.
Benefits of Gomukhasana or the Cow face pose:
Gomukhasana or Cow face pose is extremely beneficial for new mothers. It helps them in milking process and breast feeding. However, people who are suffering from asthma problem should practice this asana daily to get rid of the problem soon. It also helps people who have the problems of extremely low or high blood pressure. Gokumkhasana or the Cow face pose also helps to widen your chest and get a proper body shape. Besides this, people who have tennis shoulder and any other shoulder or elbow issue should also practice this yoga asana daily.
Contraindications of Gomukhasana or the cow face pose
People who have serious back pain and any knee injury should avoid doing this yoga asana. However, it will only accelerate their pain and make the condition more critical.