Garlic, also known as the ‘stinking rose’ is used for many medical treatments. Being a member of Allium family, which includes onions and leeks as well, garlic excels in sulphur containing compounds. Due to its strong smell and capability to help in digestion, people across the world use it for cooking.
Garlic is rich with nutritious values and has negligible calories. It is rich in vitamin C and B6 thus it is more beneficial for the body. It serves as an anti-oxidant and anti-inflammable as well.
Benefits of Garlic:
Helps in Treating Common Cold:
Garlic boosts the immunity of the body. Daily consumption of garlic can lead to the reduction of common cold allergies by 60%. Using garlic in the meal or taking garlic pills can keep you away from morning cold and other common cold flu.
Reduction of Blood Pressure:
High blood pressure has become a common cause of worry as it gives rise to much serious heart and brain related diseases. According to a study, daily consumption of garlic is more beneficial than taking medicines for hypertension. (Also read: What are the health benefits of Giloy)
Regulates and lower down the cholesterol level:
While garlic helps in tackling many diseases, it also helps in getting rid of high cholesterol problem thus ultimately helps in the treatment of heart-related diseases.
Detoxifying the metal content in the body:
Being rich in Sulphur compound, garlic serves as a fighting agent from many metals present in the body. It reduces the content of lead in our body. It also provides relief from a headache and blood pressure.
Makes the bones stronger:
Consumption of garlic is beneficial for women as it makes the bones stronger and healthier. It is advisable to take garlic empty stomach to increase the immunity on one hand and to get healthy bones on the other hand. Garlic triggers the oestrogen level in women body thus benefits in getting strong bones.
Besides the above-mentioned medical help that garlic provides us, there are many other benefits of garlic as well.
- It is consumed in meals to add taste and flavour.
- Garlic helps in getting rid of pimples and acne by just effectively rubbing it on the infected area.
- Garlic also helps in regulation of body temperature. Hence it is advisable to consume garlic more during the winter season to keep the body warm.
- Garlic is also beneficial for hair growth as it helps in getting a thicker mane by just simply rubbing cloves on the scalp after crushing them. It prevents hair loss and also helps in getting rid of dandruff.
Side Effects of Garlic
- Consume it wisely. Excess of its usage might work the other way round.
- Garlic is not advisable for asthmatic patients.