The emergency contraceptive pills are a safe way of contraception. If you had an unprotected sexual relationship or your usual method of contraception failed then it might lead to unwanted pregnancy. It is better to opt for emergency contraceptive pills in such situations. The emergency contraceptive pills are of many types and some are better than the other. Broadly, the emergency contraceptive pills work well as pills or Intrauterine device. When you are using the emergency contraceptive pills it is important to seek instruction from a doctor or a nurse. However, there are few dos and don’ts you must know about the emergency contraceptive pills. Let’s find out! (Also read: What are minipills and how do they operate as a contraceptive)
What are the dos of the emergency contraceptive pills?
- Have this pills at the earliest after an unprotected sexual encounter. It is better to not wait for the right time, have it as soon as possible. You can have it right after unprotected sex as well.
- Consume it after 72 to 120 hours of the intercourse. Else it will not be effective.
- Speak to your gynaecologist in case of any doubt or confusion. Also, ask her what is the best option for the emergency contraceptive pill.
- Keep in mind that emergy contraceptive pill is no shield against possible sexually transmitted diseases. So, it is not an ideal solution in the case of sexually transmitted diseases.
- Despite consuming the pill you don’t get your periods in three weeks, then you must consult a doctor. (Also read: What Is Cervical Cap Method Of Contraception)
What are the don’ts of the emergency contraceptive pills?
- Don’t use it like a regular contraceptive. Use it in case of emergency only.
- If your pregnant or you think you might be pregnant then don’t go for it.
- Vomiting, blood spotting, delay in menstrual cycle or heavy flow are common side effects of emergency contraceptive pills. If you feel concerned about your situation then it is better to consult a doctor. (Also Read: What Are The Types Of Contraceptive Pills)