Indians show decline in smoking habits: Global Adult Tobacco Survey 2016-17

Indians show decline in smoking habits: Global Adult Tobacco Survey 2016-17

There has been a positive change in smoking habits of Indians as observed by Global Adult Tobacco Survey 2016-17 as reported by the new Indian Express. The percentage has declined from 34.6 percent in 2009-10 to 2016-17. However, this trend is not visible in the three North-eastern states Assam, Tripura and Manipur. There has been an increase in the to tobacco composition despite various anti-tobacco laws.
In Assam, the percentage has increased from 39.3 to 48.2. Tripura shows an increase from 55.9 to 64.5. Manipur too has an increase though it is little comparatively, from 54.1 percent to 55.1 percent as the report suggests.

The decline in Nagaland has been tremendous from 31.5 percent to 13.2 percent. Sikkim too showed a decline from 41.6 to 19.9 percent.

The trend in Assam has been shocking as in 2014 the Congress government formed an anti-tobacco law as reported by the new Indian express. However, Gauhati’s tobacco businessmen filed a petition against the law that declared Manufacturing, Advertisement, Trade, Storage, Distribution, Sale and Consumption of tobacco products against the law. So, the Gauhati High Court took away the law and now the reflection is visible on rising in Tabacco consumption in Assam.
Tobacco consumption turns into an addiction that is hard to fight against.

The rising cases of cancer due tobacco is raising eyebrows about the tobacco trends in India. However, in the larger picture, the decline is certainly a great news. It is important to ensure that the three northeastern state too show the positive trend.

Disclaimer / Terms of Usage

"Though all possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information, assumes no liability for any loss, damage, expense, or anything whatsoever as a result of the implementation of the advice/tips given. If you suspect any medical condition, kindly consult your doctor or professional healthcare provider."