Enzyme that cause most common vision loss identified by Indian-origin researcher

Enzyme which trigger most common vision loss identified by Indian-origin researcher

An enzyme that triggers most common vision loss serves has been identified by Indian-origin researchers. It causes inflammation that ultimately leads to macular degeneration and leads to vision loss among the elderly.

According to the IANS reports, the journal Nature Medicine has published the findings, and the findings stated that it may allow doctors to halt the inflammation early and save the patients from blindness.

Jayakrishna Ambati from University of Virginia School of Medicine in the US said, “Almost 200 million people in the world have macular degeneration. If macular degeneration were a country, it would be the eighth most populated nation in the world. That’s how large a problem this is.”

Kerur said, “Because the target we’re talking about is an enzyme, we could develop small molecules that could block it.”

The culprit is an enzyme known as cGAS has been determined by Ambati and Nagaraj Kerur, who is also from the University of Virginia.

This particular enzyme plays an important role in detecting foreign DNA for the body’s immune response to infections. But the newly found ‘dry’ form of an enzyme for age-related macular degeneration comes as wholly unexpected.

The researchers noted that for harmful problems and for pathogens, cGAS may be an alarm that warrants responses from the immune system. The newly found enzyme can also cause other diseases such as lupus, obesity, and diabetes. But to restrict its function the researchers already are working to create drugs that could restrict its function.

Disclaimer / Terms of Usage

"Though all possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information, lifealth.com assumes no liability for any loss, damage, expense, or anything whatsoever as a result of the implementation of the advice/tips given. If you suspect any medical condition, kindly consult your doctor or professional healthcare provider."